Friday, March 20, 2015

SLLC, SAE's and Snow

This week got off to a strange start, as Monday and Tuesday I was at the State Legislative Leadership Conference (SLLC) with my students. While I was away, Mr. Kessler covered electrical and welding. Although SLLC was a lot of fun, it was a rough transition back to school on Wednesday. 

Like previous days, students in my electrical class finished their assigned wiring circuits. I continue to be impressed with how hard my students are working to finish their circuits. In welding, I had students complete their assigned welds. After school on Wednesday, we had Parliamentary Procedure practice and I had a few kids stay to work on their welds and their circuits.

Thursday looked a lot like Wednesday in electrical and welding. Students finished up their welds and circuits, because the last day of the marking period is next Tuesday. After school on Thursday, I went on an SAE visit with Mr. Kessler. The student who we visited went to National Convention with us, and is very much into livestock and showing. She showed us all of her animals and her new barn, which was very nice. I also met her parents. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, as it is a really great opportunity to see the kids in their "natural habitat".

Friday was a bit different in electricity, because I made my students bacon. I made them a promise that if they all passed their diagramming quiz, they would get bacon. While I cooked, they worked hard on their circuits. While the students were polite, I continue to struggle with swearing in this class. While I have warned them time after time, they continue swearing. I plan to continue to work on this throughout the rest of my time here. Welding looked very similar to the past days.

I began the livestock unit today in my Introduction to Agriculture class, starting with swine. Today, we reviewed swine terms and breeds of swine. I had students complete a note sheet, where they labeled the breed, colored a picture of the pig according to the coloration of that breed, and write some notes about the breed. I then had students participate in a headband game, where students chose a breed of pig, held it to their head and their peers had to give them clues as to what the breed is. I was happy with how well this class went.

Students were a little rowdy today, overall, because they were anticipating an early dismissal due to snow. However, no early dismissal was announced and much to their dismay, we had a full day of school!

Although this week was a short one, I am happy that it is over... I'm ready for the weekend and the chance to catch up on the sleep I missed from SLLC!

1 comment:

  1. Morgan, you are developing into a great educator. I am excited to read about your second SAE visit. Why is connecting with parents so important? How do you foresee interactions with parents benefiting you as a teacher and your program in the future?

    Keep doing good things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete