Friday, March 6, 2015

Delays, Cancelations, Field Trips, and Everything in Between


I cannot believe that the week is over already! Between two hour delays, snow days and early dismissals, Thursday was the only full school day this week. On Monday, we had a two hour delay. Kate Bassett came to visit, which was a nice opportunity for us to catch up and it was nice letting someone see what I have been doing!

I was very nervous for my second period welding class because I was teaching oxyacetylene. This is the one and only topic that I have been dreading since I learned that I would be teaching welding. Oxyacetylene makes me extremely apprehensive, for the simple reason that so many things can go wrong.

As I taught it, I tried to appear confident, and Kate said that I did seem to be. I was feeling a little rushed as I went through, due to the delay. But, for the most part, I think that the students got what I was saying. During 3rd period electrical wiring, I had students choose a number then draw that wiring diagram on a large piece of poster paper. We then did a gallery walk and I had students copy the corrected diagrams. This went really well, and seemed to be effective.

Displaying IMG_1873.JPGI was so excited for the Intro to Ag class. I taught the soil horizons and did the edible horizon activity with the students. They really enjoyed  it, and it was nice to see students engaged, who typically were not. In addition to the successful lesson, my classroom management techniques in this class have been effective. It has worked well using the ticket out from the previous day as the bellwork. This holds students accountable and is a good opportunity to review. Students also really enjoy the countdown technique. They all hush one another and have gotten into the habit quite well.

On Tuesday, I attended the SUN Area Public Speaking CDE. I left substitute plans for Mr. Kessler and Ms. Spurrier's sub. I was apprehensive for my students as many of them have spent hours upon hours practicing their speeches and parliamentary procedure. While students were competing, I helped judge Proficiency applications, which was a great experience. About half way through the competition, the school called and said that school would be dismissing early, due to snow and ice. I was so proud of my students when they announced the results of the CDE. Mifflinburg took first in Creed and Senior Prepared Public Speaking, and second in Junior Prepared and Conservation. In addition, they placed first in Parliamentary Procedure (although they were the only team who competed).

The snow and ice continued into Wednesday, and school ended up being closed. Finally, on Thursday, we had a full day. In welding, I had students complete a review activity, where they put the steps of setting up and shutting down oxyacetylene in order. They worked in teams and I rewarded the winning team with lollipops. It went really well and I think students enjoyed its competitive nature. I then allowed them to practice setting up and shutting down the units for the remainder of the period.

In electrical wiring, students worked at their own pace to wire circuits. In Intro to Agriculture, I taught the parts of the plant. I created a template for students to take notes on (see previous posts) and students took notes in the flip book. One thing that I do realize that I need to work on is pacing. I often go too fast for students, who often get frustrated when I move on.

Today (Friday) students have a half day, leading to a super-compressed schedule. Teachers must stay and complete professional development. In welding, I gave an oxy-acetylene safety quiz and then allowed students to practice with the unit. In electrical wiring, students worked on their wiring circuits. During electrical, I had a student ask me to be a reference for him for a job that he is applying for. I was flattered that he would ask me, of all the teachers that he has. It really goes to show that I am building positive relationships with these students!

In Introduction to Ag, I reviewed the steps of photosynthesis. It was a bit rushed, since the periods were so short. However, after reviewing it on a PowerPoint, I had the students complete a comic strip activity. Many of the students seemed to enjoy it, although a few of them were hesitant. I find it interesting that many times, particular students are uninterested and unengaged. However, there are particular incedents when they are very enagaged. It just goes to show how different each student is, and how much their interests vary.

With all of the delays, cancellations and schedule changes that this week has brought, it certainly doesn't feel like Friday. However, I am more than ready for the weekend (and hopefully nice weather)!

1 comment: