Friday, April 10, 2015

Still Going Strong: 3 Weeks Left!

What a crazy week it has been! Monday was the last day that I taught the Concrete and Masonry unit. We finished up the concrete experiment and reviewed their results. I really enjoyed this experiment, and I think that students learned a lot. In Introduction to Ag, I gave a unit test on Sheep and Goats. I thought that the test would be easy, as I provided students with a review sheet and gave them time to study before handing out the test. However, many of the students did poorly, especially on the breed identification portion. While I felt bad, I felt that the test was fair and I gave them plenty of opportunity to review.

I was pretty excited for Tuesday. I had two students who were participating in the Teach Ag essay contest, and who were teaching. During my Introduction to Ag class, one student taught poultry breeds. She did a great job, and I was very impressed with her ability to stand her ground with the rowdy (6th period) class! Another one of my students taught his Vet Science class about respiratory diseases. Although I do not teach this class yet, the student insisted that I sit in on his lesson. He did a fantastic job utilizing variety in his teaching techniques and presenting the information in a way that was understandable to his peers.

Later that day, both of my students asked to take a photo with me, as they needed a picture with their Ag teacher. Many of them, upon planning their lessons, also asked me for their help. I was very flattered when they asked me for help and for the photo, as it is nice to know that they think that much of me!

On Wednesday, I taught the parts of the egg to my Introduction to Ag class. I have to say that this was one of my favorite lessons that I have taught! I began with a basic PowerPoint that quickly ran through each portion of the egg. I had students label a diagram as we went along. I then had them split into groups and had them dissect an egg. I worked really hard to create a step-by-step instruction sheet, which asked them questions along the way. These questions helped to reinforce what we just learned. Students were SO engaged with this lesson, and virtually all of my behavior problems disappeared (even in my difficult 6th period class!). Students were asking questions, and seemed to be intrigued by this lab!

I have found that if I give students a short PowerPoint or notes to deliver information, then give them to remainder of the period to apply that information through labs, it works really well. Student's engagement increases drastically and they seem to really enjoy it.

On Thursday in Introduction to Agriculture, I taught how eggs are graded. Instead of having students all work on the same task, I broke them up into groups and had them rotate through stations. At each station, they were supposed to focus on one aspect of egg grading (i.e. shell, yolk, etc.). I think that this was a good way to break down a complicated process, and students seemed to enjoy it as well.

During sixth period (surprise, surprise!), I had one student who simply refused to participate. I wasn't sure how to handle this, as I did not want to give him credit for doing nothing. So, I went to Mrs. Spurrier and she told me to send him to her and she would find something for him to do. I appreciate her help, but I know that I do need to continue working on handling these kinds of situations, as one day there might not be someone else there to help me out.

After school on Thursday, I attended the Northern Region PAAE meeting at Hoss's in Williamsport. While it did make for a long night, I definitely had a good time. I generally really enjoy interacting with other ag teachers, and hearing their input on some things that are going on in the Ag Ed community.

Today looked very similar to Thursday in Intro to Ag. I used the same station format, but this time, I taught how poultry products are evaluated. We began by talking about CDE's and then segued into an explanation of the Poultry CDE. I structured this lab a lot like this CDE, in hopes that it might spark a students' interest. Overall, this lab went well. The same student who I had trouble with yesterday refused to participate today. I gave him one warning, offering him to see what Mrs. Spurrier has for him today or to take part in the activity. Whatever Mrs. Spurrier had him do yesterday must have been unpleasant, as he willingly began participating in the lab.

While it has improved, I do still find myself struggling with classroom management. It's not so much the entire class that is out of control, but more so a select few students who constantly act up. I wish that I had nipped it in the bud from the beginning, as many students now have a routine of how they act during class. I also wish that I could have a stronger and more firm discipline system. I often feel that I am too nice, and give too many warnings. I am beginning to teach the circulatory and urinary system with the Vet Science class next week (which I have never taught before), so I am hoping I can try to perfect my classroom management with that class, starting with a clean slate.

Looking back at my experience so far, I am so proud of how far I am come and how much I have grown. I feel like I have set a very solid foundation for myself and I look forward to testing the waters on my own. While I am looking forward to this, I am certainly going to be sad to leave, in a short two weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Keep doing great things Morgan...I am so proud to see you value the concept of application of learning and the need for clear up front expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have grown tremendously during your student teaching experience! I'm really proud of you! Keep pushing yourself until the end!

    LR

    ReplyDelete