Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Bittersweet Ending: My Final Blog Post

I remember a conversation that I had with my mom about five months ago. Filled with self-doubt and worry, I was convinced that student teaching would be the hardest thing that I've ever done. I told my mom, with tears streaming down my face, that I could not do it- I could not leave home and I could not teach. The days went by, and before I knew it, I was leaving home for my first night alone in my apartment. I bawled my eyes out as I pulled out of the driveway and I cried almost the whole way there.

The entire next week was filled with even more tears, as I felt overwhelmed and unsure while I acquainted myself with Mifflinburg High School. However, the weeks got easier and the days went by faster... and now, here I sit, again bawling my eyes out... Not because I am homesick or overwhelmed, but because I do not want to leave Mifflinburg or the students there.

My experience student teaching has been a crazy, overwhelming, awesome mix of emotions. I have learned so much- not only about teaching, but about myself as well. Most importantly, I have stretched myself, tried new things, grown, and matured.

This experience also provided me with a much needed confidence boost. When I began, I was unsure as to what I wanted to do with my future career. I was fighting my instinct, and was convinced that teaching wasn't for me. However, after completing student teaching, I now know that I was meant to be a teacher. From my passion for student success, to the excitement that I feel when I create an awesome lesson or activity, every part of me wants to continue educating students in an agricultural classroom!

Although I am thankful for the lessons that I learned and the confidence that I gained from this experience, I am most thankful for the students and teachers who have had such a huge impact on me. Mr. Kessler, Mrs. Spurrier and the students at Mifflinburg welcomed me with open arms, making me a part of their "ag family". From the crazy nicknames (MMC, Split Pea, Auntie Campbell!), to the the daily conversations, each student at Mifflinburg helped to remind me of the real reason that I wanted to be a teacher; to make a difference in the lives of students.

Mr. Kessler and Mrs. Spurrier both had a huge impact on me, as well. They were both so passionate about their job, which helped to instill a deeper passion in me. Not only this, but they were also so helpful; always offering advice or resources for me to use. I am proud to call them both my mentors, and I look forward to working with them professionally one day.

As I sit here looking back at the past 15 weeks, I feel a strange mixture of excitement, pride and sadness. While leaving the students and teachers at Mifflinburg is hard, I know that one day soon, I may have my own agricultural program. I certainly will never forget my crazy Mifflinburg kids, and I can only hope that they will never forget me!

My second period Welding class!

My fifth period Intro to Ag class!

My sixth period Intro to Ag class!
My third period Electricity class!

No comments:

Post a Comment