Friday, February 6, 2015

Another Week in the Books!

To say the least, this week was hectic. On Monday, we had a snow day (Mr. Kessler and I figured that I have not had a "normal" Monday since I've started!). Tuesday was about the only "average" day this week. In my welding class, I allowed the students time to practice striking arcs. One student in particular was very hesitant to weld, and insisted that he just was not interested. In reality, I think that he was a little nervous. So after some convincing, I got him in a booth and worked one-on-one with him, teaching him how to strike an arc. I think that this made him more comfortable and I was glad that I urged him to give it a try.

During my third period electrical class, I gave students an opportunity to finish their safety brochures. Students began presenting their speeches on Tuesday in the fifth and sixth period Introduction to Agriculture classes. Finally, in my Wildlife class, students played the inquiry fishing game, which demonstrated the Tragedy of the Commons. This went well, and students seemed to enjoy the activity almost as much as they enjoyed the Goldfish crackers and Swedish Fish.

On Wednesday, we had 8th Grade Tours, which is an event hosted by the Ag Department that gives 8th graders the opportunity to come and see what agriculture courses are all about. This meant that students who had a class in the ag room or ag shop during the time that the 8th graders were there, would be sent to a different classroom. My welding course was not effected by this, so I let the students practice their welds.

 My electricity class was sent to another room, and I gave them a crossword puzzle to complete in order to review for their quiz the next day. We continued with the prepared speech presentations during fifth and sixth period. Seventh period, I brought in Mr. Dirk Remensnyder, who is a State Conservation Officer. Mr. Kessler's class, as well as my Wildlife class, listened to his presentation about Pennsylvania wildlife laws, illegal activity (i.e. poaching) and his experiences as a Conservation Officer. The presentation went great and I was very pleased with students' questions and interest in the topic. I even heard a few students talking to later period classes about what they had learned.

It made me feel really good talking to Mr. Remensnyder. He commended me on asking him to come in, because he said that it is rare for agricultural teachers to do that. In addition to speaking, Mr. Remensnyder brought me a bag full of PA wildlife pelts, which I planned to use later in the week. I believe that Mr. Remensnyder and the PA Game Commission will be a great resource when I have a classroom of my own.

After school, I stayed to help the Parliamentary Procedure team practice. This has been a great experience for me, as I am not strong in this subject. I feel as though I am learning just as much as my students are!

On Thursday, there were more 8th grade tours, this time during second and seventh periods. Therefore, I did not have my welding class, but instead had them do a reading and questions. My electrical class took a quiz, and then I initiated a hangman game, to introduce some electrical tools. This class is beginning to push my buttons. The students are not rude or mean, but they are so talkative. In addition to this, they don't seem to think that I have much authority. On this particular day, they were not being very cooperative while playing the game, and I had a few of them back-talk me. Mr. Kessler observed this, too, and told me that he can see that the students think that they have me figured out. He suggested throwing them off one day, by not being my happy self. By acting in a stricter manner, he said that students will learn that I do have authority, after all. I think that this is a technique that I will try next week.

During fifth and sixth period, students continued to complete their prepared speeches. I noticed that students were extra chatty and rude while their peers were presenting, and I could feel myself getting angry with them. After warning them multiple times and reminding them to be respectful, I finally had enough. I put my foot down, by talking to the entire class and reminding them of my expectations. I must have made them nervous, because from that day forward, they have been very well behaved in class!

I did not teach seventh period on Thursday, but instead had students go to the library to work on their Pennsylvania Wildlife research. I stayed at the ag room and helped with the tours. It was a lot of fun to interact with 8th grade students, and hear my students promote agriculture. I think that these tours are a great idea, and I would love to implement something similar in my own classroom.

Today, none of my classes were interrupted. I began second period by reviewing information about electrodes (which they learned from their reading on Thursday). I then explained how to run a straight bead, and then allowed students to practice. In my electrical class during second period, I had students use electrical testers to complete a scavenger hunt. Again, some students in this class made me angry, by constantly goofing around and distracting their peers. I tried my best to work through this, although it is something that I am planning to address next week.

We continued with speeches during fifth and sixth period. Many students did not have their speeches finished, so I allowed them time in class to get them done. Many of them were very productive, but I am still questioning as to whether a few will have them done in time, or not.

Seventh period was my favorite class today, because we did a pelt identification activity with the wildlife pelts that Mr. Remensnyder brought in. I set it up very similarly to a CDE, which I thought might pique some interest in the Wildlife competition. Students had to use the clue cards and the pelts to individually identify the 12 animals. After we reviewed their answers, I let them have the remainder of the period to work on their research.



While working, one student approached me. She seemed very distraught and told me that she had severe ADD and OCD, and she was worried about her presentation. I was a little caught off-guard by this, but I am very pleased that she felt comfortable coming to me with this information. We talked about what she needed to be successful and I laid out the timeline of when the presentations would be due. I also provided her with a print-out of my own presentation (There were 26 species to cover and only 6 students, so I am presenting on 8 animals!). I am hoping that this provides her with some guidance and that she can be successful in this course.

Overall, this week went extremely well. As usual, I can see myself becoming more comfortable in front of the classroom. I also see students getting more comfortable with me, but continue to struggle with classroom management. I am a bit confused by how my students perceive my classroom management skills. One day this week, I had a student tell me that I was stricter than Mr. Kessler, but he continues to misbehave in my class. Maybe I am not giving myself enough credit, but I think that there is room for improvement. Despite this, I do believe that I am using great variability in my lessons, and I am trying to provide students with fun and engaging activities.

So far, this experience has brought a lot of unexpected and unplanned-for things upon me. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing things correctly, but I need to remember that this is a learning experience and that is what I am here for... and so far, I have certainly learned a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Morgan, I would have to agree with Mr. Kessler. You will find that if you show authority to the class they will show more respect. I always tell young ladies teaching agriculture its about knowing the content well and establishing authority. I am excited for my visit and to see/hear how it goes! Know that you are doing great things. Every teacher, new and seasoned, question if they are doing it "right" and making an impact, often times we don't see some of the impact we are having until later. I think you are making an bigger impact than you know!

    LR

    ReplyDelete