Friday, February 27, 2015

A Long- But Short- Week!

I have done it! I have completed my VERY FIRST full week... yes, 5 whole days with no two hour delays, no schedule changes and no snow days. It only took 6 weeks to get here!

Although this week was a "long" one, it sure did go by fast. I love the fact that every day is different, and I think that that is a big factor in the week passing quickly. On Monday, I taught students in my welding class about the different welding positions. After this lesson, they had time to practice their assigned welds. In electrical, I continued to push students to learn the wiring diagrams (quite a chore!). I decided to walk them through the diagram using the wiring rules, and then have them copy the diagram three times. This seemed to be effective, as I could see the wheels turning as they drew. In my Intro to Ag classes, I had students create a Know Book about plant life cycles. Each day, students coordinated a FFA event for FFA week. Monday was a milk chugging contest!

On Tuesday, I allowed students to practice the skills they learned in welding. In electrical, I had students continue to practice the diagrams, using the same method as before. It continued to be effective. In Intro to Ag, I taught a short lesson on plant life cycles, and then took students to the greenhouse to do cuttings, separations and plant seeds. It was a lot of fun. Tuesday evening, we took students to the local rollerskating rink. I laced up my pair of skates, and had a lot of fun with the students.... and I only fell once (which students thought was hilarious!). I loved rollerskating. It was such a great opportunity to get to know my students and build rapport!

Wednesday rolled around quite quickly and in welding, I reviewed the welds that students still owed me, then gave them time to practice. In electrical, I reviewed the diagrams and allowed the students to take the test. After offering an incentive (bacon!), students seemed really eager to take their quiz... and THANKFULLY all but one passed! I gave an end of the unit quiz in Intro to Ag, which I will use to gauge student's understanding of plant and soil science, as well as their opinions on the instruction. Wednesday during study period, there was an FFA meeting, and after school I stayed to help with the Parliamentary Procedure practice.

Thursday in welding, we reviewed the process of using the MIG welder to weld aluminum. One student during class challenged me to a weld-off. I was a little too confident, because I ended up clogging the MIG welder tip. In my defense, it has been awhile since I have MIG welded and I was under pressure! I told the student that he needed to help me fix it, and that it was a challenge to see if he was as good at MIG as he claimed. While I was a little embarrassed, it turned out to be a good teachable moment and it gave them something to laugh about!

In electrical, I allowed those students who passed their quizzes to begin wiring the circuits. Many of them had success and were able to get their light bulb to light, which was really exciting! Because it was the end of the unit, classes switched during 5th and 6th period. That meant that the double period came into the classroom to learn about plant and soil science. I was excited to get the opportunity to teach it again, and tweak things that I wasn't happy with. We started off with soil ingredients and students seemed really engaged.

I also decided to try two new techniques during this class. I implemented a classroom management technique, where I raise my hand counting down from five. By the time I am at one, every student must be silent. If they are, they get a point. If they aren't, I get a point. At the end of the week, if they have more points than I do, they get a prize (thanks, Hannah, for the idea!). It has worked like a charm! I also am trying a new bellwork/ticket out method. I am assigning two review questions from the lesson as the ticket out, which students answer on a sheet of notebook paper. They then pull those answers out and review them with their table partners as their bellwork. I then review the answers, which segues into the next lesson. This method is working great, too!

After school on Thursday, the FFA held a pasta dinner. I really enjoyed my time at the dinner, and again, built some rapport with my students. Many students who have been hard to reach in class, came out of their shells during this event. It really has helped build a better classroom environment.

Finally, it's Friday! I reviewed aluminum MIG welding in welding, then allowed them to complete their assigned welds. In electrical, I allowed them to continue wiring their circuits. I taught a lesson on soil texture in my Intro to Ag class, which went really well! During study period, one teacher will participate in the Kiss-a-Cow competition (students voted using money and whatever teacher wins, must kiss the cow. Money is then donated to Heifer International). This evening, I am completing another SAE visit, where we will tag seven dairy beef for the West End Fair. Finally, this weekend, I will attend ACES with my students and Ms. Spurrier, which I am really looking forward to!


No comments:

Post a Comment