Friday, December 5, 2014

Classroom Management: A Scary Thought!

It's my worst nightmare... out of control students. I dread the days where my students misbehave, when they talk back or when we don't get along. I am awful at confrontation and I hate nothing more than to be the bad guy. However, after an eye-opening experience Microteaching, Discipline Derby activities and a class discussion based on Classroom Management, I feel as though I have a better grasp on how to avoid chaos (like this clip from Kindergarten Cop!) in my classroom.

This week's reading, based around Classroom Management, added to my arsenal of Classroom Management techniques, by providing me with some insightful tips.

Perhaps one of the most significant suggestions made, and one that I am looking to follow when I student teach, is to start off strong. At the very beginning of the year, set strict expectations, consequences and procedures, and stick with them! It is easier to ease up on your students than it is to tighten the reigns.

Another common suggestion was to ensure that you have engaging activities. Bordem is often the culprit of misbehavior. Therefore, if a student is engaged, they are less likely to partake in distracting or disrespectful behaviors. Furthermore, if your students are busy, there won't be time for them to be disruptive!

Although avoiding misbehavior is the best approach, there are many things that can be done when misbehavior does occur. Perhaps my favorite suggestion is to talk to the student one-on-one. Students have lives outside of the walls of the classroom, and sometimes things that go on may effect their attitude or feelings while in school. This is why it is essential to talk to the student about the reason they acted up. Doing so also provides a nice opportunity to separate him/her from the group and to discuss what can be done about their behavior.

While classroom management continues to scare me, I believe that I have a better grasp on some techniques that I can use to prevent and address student misbehavior. These readings, as well as class discussions, have contributed to my confidence in classroom management, and I know that as I gain experience in the front of the classroom, my classroom management skills will only improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment