Monday, November 10, 2014

National Convention: An Eye-Opening Experience

20+ hours in a car, 5 students, 1 adviser, 1 student teacher, 4 days, 3 nights, 570 miles away, and 100% worth it. 

My trip to National Convention with Mifflinburg FFA was outstanding. Not only did it provide me with the perfect opportunity to get to know some of my soon-to-be students, but it also encouraged a stronger relationship between my cooperating teacher and I. I had the opportunity to meet some of my student's parents, gather some free resources and experience a place that I had never been before. My trip to National Convention helped to restore my passion for agricultural education, and it kind of help to restore my faith in humanity. What do I mean by that, you might be wondering?

Well, before National Convention, Ms. Rice had challenged us to observe behaviors and journal about them for each day that we were there as a part of our Multicultural Moments for AEE295. To say the least, it is interesting the behaviors that you notice when you are made aware of them! For the most part, all of the behaviors that I noticed were positive.

The first day of our National Convention adventure consisted mostly of driving... lots and lots of driving... For this reason, I wasn't expecting to hear or see many uplifting or disappointing behaviors. We stopped at Steak and Shake for lunch, and I was on the look out for something to journal about. Sure enough, I witnessed what I was looking for! We were sitting near a window and I watched as an old woman and man got out of their car. At the same time, a group of four or five young men (probably around 20 years old) got up from their table to leave. Walking out the door, one of the men noticed the old couple making their way to the door (mind  you, this couple was probably at least 20+ feet away, and moving quite slow). The young man stood at the door and waited patiently as the old couple made their way to the door. All of his friends continued on to the car without him.

Holding the door for this old couple might not have seemed like a significant gesture, but to me, it was. In this day and age, positive gentleman-like behaviors like that are far and few between. People are often too concerned with impressing their friends or hurrying to their next task, to slow down and do something kind for a complete stranger. This moment was the most uplifting moment that I witnessed all of National Convention.

The most depressing treatment that I noticed occurred, sadly, between my students. To set the context, you must realize that my students got along great for the majority of the trip. They enjoyed each other's company and shared lots of laughs. However, on our way home, one of the girls started getting moody. She began disagreeing with everything we suggested, sharing her dismay on many things that we discussed and rolling her eyes when people were talking. She even began making comments under her breath. I know that this student was probably tired of traveling, but I became increasingly frustrated with her, as she became increasingly rude. One of my biggest peeves is bullying of any kind and this girl was about to cross the line. I find it disappointing that people think it is acceptable to say or do rude things, and to bully others.

The most interesting moment that I witnessed also occurred with some of my students. Like I said, my students were all pretty good friends and they joked around a lot. While "joking around" they would often say things that could be offensive. For instance, they often told one another that they were stupid. I found it interesting that the things that they were saying were offensive, but they thought nothing of it. Sometimes, you could tell that a few of them took what was being said personally, but they quickly got over it. This dynamic was interesting to observe.

As I said, I did have a really great time at National Convention. I think that this assignment helped me view things in a new light. I became more aware of my surroundings and more aware of the way that people treat one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment