Friday, October 17, 2014

From Struggle to Success! (PSA Lab Reflection)

I have to admit that this Problem Solving lab caused me the most stress of all the labs so far. I was struggling to come up with a topic (I explored three options, before finally resorting back to my original idea!), struggling to find information and struggling to format my lesson and questions. In other words, I was driving the struggle bus!

Despite all the hardships that I had with this lab, I definitely think that it has been my most successful thus far. I chose to utilize the problem solving approach to analyze and improve a swine operation's biosecurity measures. A 'friend' emailed me, saying that she needed help improving her biosecurity after an outbreak of TGE in her operation. She provided me with the protocol she uses for new swine, the protocol for visitors, the blue print of her facility, as well as some information in the email. I asked the students to use the provided information to come up with ways to improve her biosecurity measures.

When I first began presenting the problem, my 'students' didn't seem that interested (mind you, that I did not begin with bellwork, or with explaining the  importance of biosecurity for lab!). However, as the lab progressed, they seemed more and more engaged. They started to bring up points that I never thought of, which was awesome! I was actually amazed that this happened, and it made me feel good that multiple people commented after lab that they felt as if they were actually in my class! I even noticed that their behavior roles seemed to disappear, as did side-conversations during the activity. I am really proud that I created such an engaging, relevant and applicable lesson!

Despite all of the positive aspects of my lesson, it did have some shortcomings. I noticed that I have some habits which are quite annoying. I have improved on my filler words, but continue to hold my lesson in my hand. I would really like to work on this! I also noticed that as students talk, I say "okay" a lot. It was to the point that it annoyed me in my ThereNow video, so I can only imagine how  my students feel. I want to show them that I am actively listening, but I need to find another way to do it. Additionally, I really need to work on my questioning. This is something that I struggle with on every lesson that I write. Although it is hard, I know how important questions are, especially in a lesson like this one!

As the weeks go on and I watch my ThereNow videos, I see myself becoming more and more confident in front of the "class". I am glad that we have the opportunity to practice teaching to our lab sections, and I hope that I continue to improve and create engaging lessons!

8 comments:

  1. Wow Morgan! Great reflection! I'm not in your lab section but I heard great things about your lab performance from others in the cohort. I'm glad to see that lab is helping you grow and blossom into a better teacher. Keep up the awesome work and you will be just fine during student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is stellar that you are noticing an improvement! Crazy that you still had such great success even not following the usual set up for classroom instruction. I wonder how different class would be if you had started with the bellwork? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan,

    Your teaching lab was excellent. It is awesome when your students forget their in lab and are engaging. It really helps when you bring in real world issues and especially current day ones. Seeing improvements in your lessons and your teaching is very good and is what we strive for as individuals. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan,

    Your lab was wonderful. You certainly did "hook" your students and seem to have "the teacher look." It is pretty cool for you to notice your improvements. I know that your real-life applications in lab are definitely beneficial to your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan,
    It sounds like your lab went awesome! Higher order thinking questions will come with time. It sounds like your learners were engaged and excited to be there, so excited that any behavior problems disappeared which is great. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan, I think you did an amazing job at this lab! Your problem was clearly defined and presented a current issue. From watching several of our classmates, I think that a current issue may be one of the best ways to incorporate the PSA to learning! It makes students think about something that they could have an impact on right now. I think it helps motivate students to come up with real like applicable solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan, It's great to hear that you felt and achieved success!! Especially after talking about how much you were struggling with this lab beforehand. You're going to be an awesome teacher!! Keep being you and I know that you'll be well prepared at the end of this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reflection Morgan! I agree that this problem solving approach lab was the most stressful so far. I also struggled to come up with an idea. I'm so glad yours worked out well! I have found that writing out exactly what I want to say in my lesson plans helps with my filler words. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete