Thursday, September 25, 2014

Lab 3 Reflection: Interest Approaches

For AEE412 Lab this week, we were to present an Interest Approach. At first, my head was swarming with ideas and I was excited to create something fun and engaging to capture my students' attention. However, when I sat down to write my lesson plan for lab, my mind went blank. I could not, for the life of me, come up with an interest approach. Finally, after lots of writing (and re-writing) of ideas, I decided that I would do a modified "scavenger hunt", where I would act as if I lost my welding PPE and ask students to go find it for me. I wasn't feeling overly confident in my interest approach when I got in front of the room to present it, but, much to my surprise, it went smoother than expected.

When I began, I knew that I would have to 'act out' a scenario where I 'lost' my welding PPE. I was nervous for this, because I am, in no way, a good actress. However, that ended up being one of my favorite parts of my interest approach. My 'student's' faces were priceless when I said that I had lost my PPE. I don't think that they were expecting that, and it captured their interest. I think that it is important for me to keep in mind that I need to loosen up a bit, and have a little fun while I am teaching. I tend to get caught up in the logistics and the content and forget to joke around or laugh. Some of my favorite parts of my lesson were when I did this (including when I acted like I lost my PPE!). 

I also thought that I did a nice job asking for students to contribute to the discussion, instead of doing all the talking. However, when I did talk and explain each piece, I thought that went well, too. Overall, I am happy with my performance and extremely glad that my lesson went better than I was expecting.

Although there were many aspects that I was happy with, there were also weak points in my performance. Like last time, I said "umm" and "so" a lot. It was very distracting, and continues to be something that I need to work on. My problem is that I don't even realize that I say it until I am watching myself on ThereNow!

While my filler words were distracting, nothing was more distracting than the paper that I held THE WHOLE TIME! Watching myself back, the paper was all I could look at! I held it in front of me and moved it around as I was talking with my hands. I think that, for me, it is almost like a safety net... but I need to either get rid of it or learn to place it on the table and only refer to it when I need it. 

I hope that next time, I am able to use less filler words and do without the lesson plan in my hand. I think that making these changes would improve my performance. I do, however, hope that I am able to keep up my enthusiasm and continue to loosen up and have fun while I am teaching! 

4 comments:

  1. Morgan, this sounds like a really fun lesson! I know sometimes I have trouble letting go of my lesson plan too. Something I'm going to try is bulletining out key phrases in the lesson so if i set it down, it would be easy to take a quick look and get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, its awesome that your interest approach went better than expected, thats always a great feeling. As for continuously holding on to your lesson plan, I think thats expected at this point. However, it may be helpful of you to place it in a binder which you keep stationary on the table. That way you can still refer to the plan but can't continuously be holding it. Just an idea, overall it sounds like everything went really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan, I really enjoyed reading your blog. It was actually captivating. I was also really excited to hear that you have stepped outside of your comfort zone and acting. That made me really happy for you, especially since it went so well for you!! I wish I was in your lab group to watch your performance. As far as the paper, yeah, that could definitely bee a distraction. I see that Janae and Deanna both have really good suggestions for you. Try them out!! I'll be looking to see what you are up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, this sounds like an awesome lesson! I'm glad it was something you could really get into. Maybe if you are nervous and relying on your written plan, read it over a few times. Really get to know your key points and transitions. Just be able to have fun and focus on engaging with your students instead of all the little details. It's great this went so well!

    ReplyDelete